Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Crab all you can at this buffet

SINGAPOREANS love a good buffet. And when there is crab involved, be careful you're not elbowed out of the way.

Click to see larger image
CLAW YOUR WAY: The Ultimate Crab Affair at Swissotel Merchant Court's Ellenborough Market Cafe.

You should be prepared for the craze that will invade Swissotel Merchant Court's Ellenborough Market Cafe this Thursday onwards.

The Ultimate Crab Affair ($46, for dinner all week) starts Thursday until 12 Jul.

At a preview for this buffet, the Nonya Curry Crab - using flower crab - was the winner.

Don't let the overused word Nonya scare you (blame it on The Litte Nyonya overdose). This version is fragrant and has just the right amount of spice.

The crab risotto was good for me too, although some of my lunch companions disagreed.

I found the chilli crab too weak and sweet while the black pepper version was insipid.

I am afraid of spices, and if I have to ask for it to pack more heat, there is a problem.

If the mildness is meant for the foreigners, then perhaps the restaurant should consider a spicy dish meant just for the locals and brave tourists. Still, all is not lost.

I'm always happy to eat there because I love Chef Shirley Tay's Peranakan food. And you'll still get this, along with the crab.

And that, to me, was the best combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment